The following article was published by Forbes and written by Bob Evans. Several themes reverberate throughout: analytics, breaking down silos, social, the cloud, and particularly customers, opportunities, growth, and innovation. I hope these prove helpful, and please share your feedback in the comments section below or on Twitter at @bobevansIT.Please check out recent additions to our coverage of the strategic CIO: Career Suicide and the CIO: 4 Deadly New Threats and The Surge of the Strategic CIO.
And the turbulent forces shaping businesses in today’s always-on global marketplace promise to accelerate that ongoing evolution. In that context, I’ve put together a list of what I believe will be the top priorities for strategic CIOs in the coming year.
As you’ll see, each of these 10 is rooted in change, and calls for the CIO to be a leader instead of a follower; a disrupter instead of a go-alonger; and a business-driven executive instead of a tech-focused manager.
- Simplify IT and Transform Your Spending: Kick the 80/20 Budget Habit.
- Lead the Social Revolution: Drive the Social-Enabled Enterprise.
- Unleash Your Company’s Intelligence: Create the Enterprise-Wide Opportunity Chain.
- Embrace the Engagement Economy: Merge the Back Office and the Front Office into the Customer Office.
- Future-Proof Your IT Architecture.
- Upgrade “Cloud Strategy” to “Business Transformation Enabled by the Cloud.”
- Transform Big Data into Big Insights, Big Vision, and Big Opportunities.
- Preside over a Shotgun Wedding: Systems of Record Marry Systems of Engagement.
- Lead with Speed: CIO as Chief Acceleration Officer.
- Bend the Value Curve: More Innovation, Less Integration.
- Reimagining the CIO as GM of Strategic Resources (blogs.wsj.com)
- The Surge of the Strategic CIO – Forbes (isykes.wordpress.com)
- Death of the CIO? (itpro.co.uk)