Sustainability is based on the pulse of Environmental, Social and Economic areas or put in another context: Sustainability is focused on Planet, People and Profit. Each of us needs to change behavior, learn, and become more aware of how we impact the environment. Most people become involved by three progressive steps:
- Natural curiosity is a catalyst, curiosity propels us to seek knowledge.
- Being informed, individuals are then willing to experiment.
- Engagement within the community and align individual values with other people and organizations that have a like mindset.
How do we become sustainable? Leaders of the 21st century will be responsible of planetary stewardship for our Earth. This means laying the foundation, which the entire Earth community is secure, managed, and prosperous. Stewardship is based on these five key principles:
So, where can that behavior be focused? On a personal level, each of us can be responsible for Stewardship in our own lives. Here are examples:
- conserve energy, food, and water,
- reduce waste; decrease usage of plastic and paper by increasing usage of existing containers (i.e. mugs and glasses); use rechargeable batteries; drinking water and promote gray water
- recycle daily waste, recycle old clothing, furniture, books,
We must have the will to Lead Smart, with a vision, and create endless opportunities through Sustainability. It’s never too late! Engage in your community. We can meet our needs today, and also create a future for generations can have their needs met, too. BUT we need to act now!”
- Repair Our Environment! Pro’s for Recycling! (proflowers.com)
- Live a Lifestyle as Green as the Ivy-covered Halls (thecrimsoncrow.com)
- Recycle your e-waste safely and ethically (goprimeimagingblog.com)
- Should recycling be implement nationwide? (greenanswers.com)